Telecom Sector Skill Council (TSSC)
Indian Telecom has emerged as one of the greatest economic success stories becoming the 2nd largest and fastest growing market, registering a consistent overall growth rate of more than 35% over the past decade (subscribers). Further, the annual mobile handset sales are expected to cross 200 million units mark this year and India is fast becoming a manufacturing hub for Telecom infrastructure equipment. With m-governance, m-commerce, m-education, m-health, online shopping, m-gaming, m2m communications & many such new innovations, Telecom is set to increasingly permeate the lives of common Indians in coming years. This dynamic sector, employs close to 2.8 million people directly and almost another 7 million indirectly, making it one of the largest employment generating sectors in the country. The Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI), Indian Cellular Association (ICA), & Telecom Centres of Excellence (TCOE) have joined hands for setting up Telecom Sector Skills Council (TSSC) in India under the aegis of the National Skills Development Corporation (NSDC). TSSC is registered as a Society under the Societies Registration Act 1860, with members from COAI, ICA, TCOE, NSDC, TAIPA, AUSPI, Govt., Telecom Industry and Academia.
- Set up a comprehensive Labour Market Information System (LMIS) i.e. prepare a compendium of skill types to assist in planning for skilling and delivery of training.
- Undertake skill mapping and skill gap analysis based on LMIS.
- Rationalize and maintain a skill inventory.
- Create a skill development plan in coordination with Electronic and IT SSCs.
- Review and identify emerging skill gaps by trend analysis.
- Develop National Occupational Standards (NOS) that feature skill competency standards and qualifications.
- Refine the existing curricula to align it with NOS, and obtain approval from an industry led body of experts.
- Plan and institutionalize an effective system for training of trainers.
- Steer the affiliation and accreditation processes to enable quality assurance in training in par with international standards.
- Create an assessment framework to award tamper proof certifications to trainees.
- Promote academies of excellence by nurturing state of vocational training.
To develop world class skilled manpower for the Telecom industry.
TSSC will strive to
- Create a viable ecosystem to develop competency based framework.
- Narrow the existing gap between demand and supply of skills.
- Develop framework for standards, curriculum and quality assurance